Monday, October 17, 2011

Sunday Night Football Comfort Food


Hey Everyone!! How was your weekend? Mine was great! We hung out with some friends, had dinner at my moms house and played some Monopoly....I won! Yesterday was really relaxing. My husband is a football fan, so our Sundays are spent watching all the games. I do manage to clean the house, go grocery shopping and do laundry however.  For the evening game, the husband wanted one of his favorite comfort foods. Ol'school Shepherds Pie. This recipe is adapted from my moms. I wanted to make a little more healthy version of hers. 


Sunday Night's Shepherd Pie

This recipe can be adjusted and made for vegan/vegetarians/meatatarians. My husband is lactose intolerant so I make it dairy free.

Yield: 6 servings(or 4 in my house)

Ingredients:

  • 1lb extra lean ground beef, veggie ground or TVP
  • 2 large potatoes, cubed (I use yukon gold potatoes)
  • 1cup onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 1/2 cup carrots, chopped in small pieces
  • 1/2 cup green peas
  • 1tsp basil
  • 1/4 cup  cheddar cheese (I used daiya vegan cheese)
  • salt & pepper to taste.
  • a dash of paprika
1. Preheat oven to 400c.  Boil cubed potatoes till cooked, drain and mash. Put to the side

2. Fry up ground beef and drain. *A trick I learned from my mother in law is to rinse the ground beef off under water for a few moments to remove any grease or oil*  

3.Saute onions and garlic till clear, add tomato and spices. Add all other vegetables and cook for a few moments. Add ground beef and cook for 5-7 min longer till spices and veggies have mixed. At this time add more spices if needed.

4. Pour meat mixture into a large casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes, sprinkle cheese and garnish with paprika. Bake uncovered for 30-35min till cheese is melted and potatoes have a slight golden baked colour.

Enjoy!

My husband loves bread, so I warmed up some french bread in the oven.
The guys loved it! And all our plates quickly looked like this

Tonight we are going to the Jets Game!! I hope they win!!!!!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...