Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Bowl Insanity

This past Sunday was of course the Super Bowl. Now in my house this is HUGE! Even more so since my fiancés favorite team is the Green Bay Packers! As tradition would dictate I would be making Chili and other snack foods for a bunch of football fans.

Normally I would be making a very healthy dish of chili if this was a normal day. But I spoiled my fiancé and made some that wasn’t so much. However healthy substitutes can be easily made!

1lb Extra Lean Ground Beef
1lb Hot Italian Sausage
4 (15oz) cans chili beans, drained
2 (28oz) cans diced tomatoes with juice
1 (6oz) can of tomato paste
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 green chili peppers, seeded and chopped
4 cubes beef bouillon
½ cup beer
¼ cup chili power
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon sugar


Process:

1 Heat a large stock pot over medium heat. Brown ground beef and sausage. Drain any excess grease.


2. Pour in chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste


3. Add onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, chili peppers, bouillon and beer.


4. Season with chili power, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika and sugar. Simmer on low eat for at least 2 hours. 


5. After two hours I will taste and adjust for spices if needed. I then let it cook another hour. The longer it simmers the better it tastes. I always make this the day before so it sits all night in the refrigerator.


Just reheat on stove the next day on low.  Serve with buns.

The boys LOVED it!

Now we had many sides, one which was Restaurant-Style Buffalo Chicken Wings. I baked these instead of deep frying them. I may be letting my fiancé cheat a little....but that was just TOO much. The boys seemed to really enjoy these as well.



We also had Guacamole I made. This recipe is great!!



On top of all that we had some smoked dried homemade meat my fiance's father makes, it's delish! We also had 3 year old cheddar cheese and crackers. As well as salmon slices, salsa and I think that's everything???? All I know is I have soo much food left over!!




And for the big game that inspired all this food.....well that was a HUGE WIN FOR THE PACKERS! Good job boys :)




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...